Urban Archery Deer Season opens Jan. 15th | Sports & Recreation
GUILFORD COUNTY, N.C. (WGHP) - The towns of Oak Ridge, Pleasant Garden, Summerfield and Stokesdale in Guilford County have opted into the urban archery sseason for 2011.
The archery season runs from January 15 to February 19. Bowhunting is now also allowed on Sunday, but must be on private property with the landowner's permission.
The North Carolina Bowhunters Association says the sport has been proven to be the safest, most economical and effective way to help control the overpopulation of deer in urban areas. The Association also said there are roughly 19,000 deer/motor vehicle accidents reported in the state each year, with the majority occurring in or near metropolitan areas and along interstate corridors.
A total of 26 cities and towns across North Carolina have adopted the urban archery season and legalized bowhunting within city limits during the regular deer seasons. Several other larger cities that have opted into the urbarn archery season include Concord, Kannapolis, Pittsboro, Randleman, Sanford and Wentworth.
Upcoming Events near Guilford County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Guilford County Schools cancels classes on Monday
- About 40k Duke customers without power in Guilford Co., less than 100k in NC
- Guilford County power restoration underway
- 64-year-old man tries out for professional soccer team
- Guilford Co. declares State of Emergency, over 175,000 county residents without power